Word of the Day Challenge #2 for Week of 12 May: fire idioms

Select TWO of the expressions below and use each in one or two sentences related to your AFC issue or your learning habits during the research process. Your sentences should make clear the meaning of the expression within the context of your AFC issue or your research skills.

too many irons in the fire: having too many things to do at once
to add fuel to the fire: to make worse
out of the frying pan into the fire: to get out of one situation only to find yourself in a worse one

photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernatcg/4329935992/”>bernat…</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/”>cc</a>

Tags: ,

12 Responses to “Word of the Day Challenge #2 for Week of 12 May: fire idioms”

1. Norton says:

to add fuel to the fire: If we don’t provide some poor people better education, it will like adding fuel to the fire, so that the population will grow worse.

too many irons in the fire: There are always too many irons in the fire when it is the end of the school year.

2. Ji Yoon says:

Completing AFC seems really hard for me because of too many irons in the fire.I put myself out of the frying pan into the fire with my irrelevant answers in AFC questions.

3. Noud says:

Sentences on to add fuel to the fire:

1. Climate change causes lack of food supplies, and the natural disasters add fuel to the fire.
    2. I had a wellness test which I had to study for, but I also had a math assessment, and the notecards on climate change affecting food supplies added the fuel to the fire.

Sentences on too many irons in the fire:

1. When A natural disaster hit Ethiopia, WFP had too many irons in the fire.
    2. When I was researching on tried solutions I had too many irons in my fire.

4. Regan says:

If the gender pay gap problem will be bigger its almost the same thing to add the fuel to the fire.

• Ms Peters says:

This work is incomplete. Please read the instruction.
      1. By ignoring the gender pay gap, employers are adding fuel to the fire.

5. Masaki says:

too many irons in the fire:
    Germany was too rely on renewable energy.
    to add fuel to the fire:
    Nuclear opponents intensified the momentum in the nuclear accident in Japan.

6. Sunny says:

I think making notecards and researching is too many irons in the fire but I learn new skill how to research fast in my original pace. I found this solution by not opening any other tabs that are not related to AFC. Opening other tabs like Facebook or any tabs not related to AFC this is just adding fuel to fire. I learn never and ever open other tabs, while I research or even other subjects.